Sunday 11 December 2011

Just a little Update

As you, my singular reader, may recall, I've decided to hike the Appalachian Trail. I've received a box full of guidebooks, and I am shopping for gear.

I've noticed an interesting quirk in my shopping for this stuff. My urge is to shop for a backpack first, when I really need to buy the pack last. I need to buy the smallest lightest pack that will carry all the gear I need. I'm definitely one of those bigger is better kinda guys. Let me tell you, an expedition sized internal frame pack can weigh 8 pounds. My target weight for my backpack and all contents, minus food and water is somewhere around 25 pounds. A pack suitable for 25 pounds of gear only weighs about 3 pounds, and may not need a frame of any type.

I'm pretty sure I am going to eschew a tent, and go for some sort of hammock or tarp. The entire length of the trail is dotted with shelters separated by an easy day's walk. 'm going to need two different sleeping bags. The Georgia Spring/Maine Autumn bag, and a South in the Summer sleeping bag. Those light weight summer bags are right about a pound.

What I'm really crazy about are the little alcohol stoves. i found one that's titanium,, weighs about an ounce, and has little legs for a pot holder and stability. It costs about $30. Yay!

I'm having way too much fun with all this.

No comments:

Post a Comment